“Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive that is youer than you.” – Dr. Seuss
What does Authentically Me mean?
To embrace being “authentically me” means you know and express your real genuine you. It is the you who is buried deep and is the very core of your being. The authentic you is a culmination of all things that are you – knowledge, talents, skills, attitude, and perspective.
It isn’t defined by your placement in a family unit or career. It isn’t defined by your relationships or your traumas.
Finding the truth about who you really are and what is important to you takes honesty, awareness and some time.
Here are 4 steps to follow:
1. Keep: These are the things in your life that you prioritize over everything else. You can, and probably will, increase them over time.
Questions to find what to keep:
- What is working in your life?
- What brings you joy and lights you up?
- What and who lets you be your true self?
- What is moving you forward towards the life you crave and envision?
2. Edit: There are some things, people and relationships we love and care about but they just need some tweaking or editing to make them shine.
Questions to find what to edit:
- Do you want to lessen your time spent on them?
- Do you feel stress when you think about spending time with a particular person or in a certain situation?
- Do you crave a new way forward – in your job, your relationship, your life?
- What can you edit to bring your roles and commitments into alignment with your values and priorities?
3. Delete: The biggest part of living authentically is not being passive about how your life unfolds! Deleting is the most difficult step but it is also the one that will have the greatest impact on your life moving forward.
Questions to find what to delete:
- What do you need to let go of?
- What is not “you”?
- What is standing in your way?
4. Add: The benefit of having edited or deleted things from your life that were not in alignment with your authentic self and your personal life’s vision is that you have freed up time, energy and resources for things and people that matter to you.
Questions to find what to add:
- What has been missing from your life?
- What goals can you add to bring you closer to your authentic self?
- How can you bring more of the real you into your day-to-day life?
- How can you add joy and laughter to your everyday life?
Being authentic and living your passionate, amazing life is about choosing. You can choose to keep, edit or delete things, then add all the great stuff that has been missing. Once you clean up the mess and add the good stuff you are living authentically.
Living a truly Authentic Life means that you can:
Love yourself * Forgive yourself * Accept yourself * Be Good to Yourself