This is dedicated to the girl who holds herself back from pursuing her dreams because she isn’t where she wants to be – pretty enough, thin enough, smart enough or anything else that ends with the word enough.
I know you want to wait until you feel really good about yourself and as if you are in the perfect place. But what is perfect? Have you ever made it to that place? Perfection holds us back. Perfection is allusive.
It’s been said that the world belongs to the bold.
I heard this phrase the other day and it is such a true statement. Those of us willing to take chances and pursue the things we deeply desire are the ones who really live a full life. I repeat these words to myself every day as a reminder because I am the same as you. Many times I want to hide out and wait until the perfect moment comes up.
The way to achieve the things you desire whether it is a relationship goal, work goal, body goal or anything else is to just start. Start exactly where you are and build from there. It is all about facing your fears by taking steps and gaining momentum.
Below are five simple steps to start building that momentum:
- Journal: Set a timer for 10 minutes. Think about the things that are keeping you from getting started. Write them down. Get specific and list out all those fears that are coming up. Answer the following question: “What is the worst that could happen if you started right now in this moment exactly where you are?” You will most likely see that the worst thing is not so bad, especially once it is out of your head and on paper.
- Small Steps: Pick one simple thing you can do related to your dream and DO IT. Just 1 thing is all you need. Each day you can select one tiny thing. Doing one step at a time feels much less overwhelming and it propels you forward. Small steps build big momentum.
- Set Goals: Take a few minutes to meditate or journal on what you really desire to achieve and then write it down. Be specific and include a time-frame. Bonus points for putting your goal somewhere you can see it every day.
- Create a plan: Once you have your specific goal written down, come up with a plan to set in motion. Create the larger goal but then start by breaking it down. What can you do this month? What can you do this week? Also, list some resources and research you will need to achieve this goal. This can help you with deciding what you need to accomplish.
- Seek Support: Who can you seek out who will be there for you? It can be a family member, friend, romantic partner, therapist, coach, etc. Reach out to people you know will help hold you accountable towards taking the steps you need to achieve your dream. This can be free or paid. Another place for support – you can lean on people in Facebook groups. There are hundreds of FB groups. Go do a search and connect with other people who are working towards achieving the same thing you are.
You got this girl!! Tell me in the comments: “What is your big dream?”