photo courtesy of Rocky Mountain High on Flickr
Hello Beautiful Person!
The last few weeks we have explored ways to reflect, ways to vision and even ways to create space mentally and physically for what we want to create in the year ahead.
Now let’s look a bit deeper into two practices/rituals I do every single year!
I create Heart Resolutions (I have been doing this for over 4 years) and I create a vision board for the year and what I want it to hold.
First let’s look at Heart Resolutions:
What are Heart Resolutions?
Simply put, Heart Resolutions are about getting to the Heart or the Core of what YOU really want, the feeling – not the task. The feeling, the emotion of what you want for your life is what you use to measure your progress or success, not the task. This is a process I have used for years. While all my lists my not have check marks next to them I do not let that be the deciding factor if I lived my year with intention, inspiration and meaning. I check in with my Heart Resolutions that I created at the start of the year!
How to create Heart Resolutions:
Write down some of the things you want to accomplish, create, explore etc. this year. Now look at that list and ask yourself: For those tasks, what is it that I really want to get from them? How do I want to feel, what is the core of the task that I am actually trying to gain here? So if losing weight is something that is on your “task list” then ask yourself: ¬What do I really want to feel – energetic, empowered, healthy, light, nourished? Choose the word that best describes what it is you are really seeking. If that seems like a disconnect for you, pull some words from the list that describe what you need to accomplish it (courage, focus, support, etc).
The same goes for any other type of “task” you come up with. Keep these in front of you on a daily basis (type them, write them, paint them, collage them). It doesn’t matter – just get them in front of you!!) For the full PDF of ideas and steps go here.
Now let’s explore a little bit about creating a Vision Board:
A lot of you probably created one or have heard of one. In a nutshell, a Vision Board is a visual representation of what you want to feel, do, create, explore, experience in an area of your life. There are so many different themes you could use. For me, I create one that encompasses those things for the year. (Throughout the year I make other ones for various areas of my life.) If it feels better to call it an “inspiration board for this year” then do that. Some people don’t connect to the words “vision board” so phrase it and create it in a way that feels true to you!
This would be great to do after you have created your Heart Resolutions.
- Find a surface that feels good to you. You can use anything – a canvas of whatever size feels right to you, a poster board, index cards. (You can do a mini one or do several for various areas of your life.) You can even create a digital one to print out and have in a space you will see often.
- Grab magazines, catalogs etc. and pick the images and words that you are drawn to. Then go through them and decide what ones you really want to use for your vision board. (Check in with your Heart resolutions, goals, dreams, etc.) Follow your gut.
- Remember the images and words only have to make sense to you. The image may not be of exactly what you want, but if it represents the feeling that is triggered for you when you see it, then trust that!
- Glue it down on the board. I often, but not always, lay the images down to see how I want them set up before gluing.
- Again: Put this up somewhere where you will see it daily.
- Another idea is to create a Pinterest board as a Vision board. I have created one that is all about inspirations ideas (images, words, articles, things to learn or explore) for that year. Check in with it daily; add to it as it feels right. I love the idea of getting some of the images printed out and sticking them somewhere you can see daily.
However you “vision” or whatever rituals you have for connecting to your truth or your dreams for the new year, I hope that they unfold beautifully.
Here is to living Inspired, Creative and Empowered
|Hi! I am Heather Shafer and I am a certified Dream Coach, and Holistic Life Coach, and Inspirationalist!
I believe that connecting to our deepest and most creative Selves is critical to living our best, most powerful, lives.
My purpose in life is to learn to express myself fully and authentically, and to teach and inspire others to do the same.
My website features inspiring stories, tips and ideas to help you live an Inspired, Creative and Empowered life.